/

Friday, October 11, 2013

Taking A Little Time-Out

This week hasn't been great. I've been in one of those moods that can be best described as PMS mixed with my cat dying. I don't know where it came from (PMS is not in the picture at the moment, and my cat is alive, albeit sleeping a million hours a day), but it's been destroying my entire week. Although, I guess I've kind of let it. You know when you get in a funk and then you do nothing to stop it, so it kind of invades all aspects of your life? Yeah, that's what's happened to my this week. And I'm tired of it. I've already baked a thousand cookies (because whenever my mom was stressed, she would bake, and she passed that onto me, apparently), but that doesn't seem to be enough. So I thought that I might as well break out of it today and take some time to think about what I'm grateful for. Like a pre-Thanksgiving. Without the delicious food. Or loud family. Or football. But I do have pasta and Supernatural, so I guess that counts, right?

Since I'm moving and trying to save a little money, I figured I would get rid of cable and just stick with Netflix and the internet. That's when I remembered I had a Hulu Plus account, made months ago because I wanted to catch up on Once Upon a Time. I didn't actually pay for it after the trial was done, because I thought the ads were lame and some of the shows I liked weren't up there. Now that I've rediscovered it and looked through it all, I'm so glad I renewed it. Hulu is freaking awesome and the ads are, like, 30 seconds at the most. So, thanks Hulu. You made it so much easier to walk away from stupid AT&T U-Verse (oh my god, don't ever get that service! If you do, you will be so sorry and you can't say that I didn't warn you).

Besides my boyfriend (who I will always be grateful for, because he puts up with my moods and attitudes and loves me no matter what), books get me through terrible times. It's nice to read, anywhere, anytime, with any media, and just forget that you have problems or you hate the way the person next to you is breathing. I super appreciate when shows invite authors on to talk about their books, and not argue with them about a little piece of their work. Jon Stewart had on Malala Yousafzai and Brian Jay Jones this week. First off, I am in awe of Malala. After everything she has been through, she's still fighting, still talking, still pushing even though she knows there's people out there who don't want her anywhere. This girl is sixteen, and she's braver, stronger, and more compassionate than anyone I've ever known. Can I look up to a teenager? Because I do. Her words and actions make me want to be a better person. And then Brian Jay Jones! Sure, he only wrote a book, but not any book. A biography about Jim Henson. Jim freaking Henson. The man who shaped my childhood, who taught me when I decided I didn't want to go to preschool anymore (I cried every day for a week until my mom took me out permanently). I still get the giggles when I watch old videos of the Martians (goodness, go search the Martians discovering a phone) or see Beaker hide his face in his collar. I've been so excited to read their books, and that excitement pulled me a little bit more out of my funk.

Finally, I'm thankful that, even if it's just the same one person, someone is reading this. I'm glad that there's people (a person?) out there who are willing to give a new voice a chance, willing to sit through the crap and constant talking to get to the real heart of things. So, thank you, whoever reads this. Thank you for giving me a reason to write biweekly. It's fun for me, because I love to write, and I hope I make it fun for you. It's the Month o' Fun! How can it not be fun, right?

But seriously. Thank you. You're the best.

PS - Obviously I'm grateful for my family. I just thought that went without saying. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment