/

Friday, October 18, 2013

Sleeping and Editing

Here's a well-known secret of mine: I love to sleep. Since I was a kid, I've been able to fall asleep at any moment, wherever I am. It's a gift, really. But some people don't enjoy my beautiful present to this world. My boyfriend, forever a night owl, always complains on the weekends when I crawl into bed before midnight. I sometimes wish I could tell him why I get so tired or why I don't stay up late at night. But how does one explain something like that? Wednesday night, however, seems like the perfect example to give for why I shouldn't stay up late.

As some of you might know, October 22nd is an awesome day for two reasons (well, I'm sure there's more reasons, like birthdays or anniversaries or whatever): one, I'm going to publish my book that day, and two, Allegiant, by Veronica Roth, is being published that day, as well. Now, those two things should not even have anything to do with each other, but they do. I read Divergent when it came out, way back in 2011, and then Insurgent when it came out a year later. And then I read every other book under the sun. Kidding, but that's what it feels like. I made a plan to reread both those books this month, before Allegiant came out, but then it was suddenly October 14th and I hadn't picked up either one. So I started reading them, staying up a little later each night to finish. Well, on Wednesday, I had 72% done of Divergent, and I wasn't going to bed until I finished. When 2 a.m. rolled around, and I was finally done, my brain kicked into overdrive. And it started thinking about my novel.

Of course.

There's one part of my book that's bothered me since I wrote it. Honestly, I didn't quite like it, but I couldn't see another way of writing it. It's made me uncomfortable, because it's the only part that I read and shake my head at. Well, Wednesday night solved that problem. I thought of a way to fix it, and then I realized that it was six days before I was going to publish my book.

Six days? That's plenty of time to fix an entire book!

Because, you see, this one part plays a big role in the plot. There's characters, backstory, reasons and motives. But, like a fool, I changed it anyway. I took all Thursday morning and rewrote one chapter, and then going through it all and making sure that everything fit. Now this weekend I have to reread the entire book and make sure everything makes sense before Tuesday. Thank goodness I don't have concerts to go to or an apartment to clean or another apartment to move into or work.

You see, this is why I don't stay up late.

But I really wouldn't change anything for the world right now. Well, except for that part in my book. Bazing! Give me a break. I'm still waking up, an hour and a half after I really woke up. It takes me awhile. Like all day, and then I just go back to sleep when I start waking up. It seems to make the most sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment