/

Friday, March 21, 2014

The Secret of the Old Clock

(Yes, I loved Nancy Drew when I was a child.)

With only ten days left of my goal, this should be the time that I'm telling you I've had so many things to do that I couldn't possibly even think about writing, correct?

Wrong!

But that's mainly because I found a handy little tool that kicked my butt into gear this whole week.


Do you see that thing? Because I do. Every moment. Every day. It doesn't leave my desktop. I can see it right now as I type this, counting down the seconds until the end of March. I found it a couple of days ago and decided that maybe I would give it a try. I didn't think it would do anything (really, I thought I'd get rid of it within seconds or forget about it), but that hasn't been the case. Each time I look at it, I feel its disapproval. I feel it staring at me as I work on my puzzle and saying, Excuse me. You put me here for a reason and it sure as heck wasn't to finish that stupid puzzle. I don't want to make the countdown clock angry, so I've been writing. Like a freaking madwoman.

I have about three chapters left. Looking back over what I've written so far, I know there's more to add, but I don't even want to think about that right now. All I want to do is get these three chapters down and then blissfully check out from this story for a month before editing. But three more chapters! Since I'm going to have a little time this weekend to myself, I could most likely finish tomorrow, or at least write most of it. I might make that little clock happy!

The truly amazing part of all this writing is that I've thrown myself back into this story and completely forgotten about the other story I was so excited about. Really. I just remembered right now because I found a bunch of notes from a few weeks ago stashed under my printer (I have a very complex system of organization). I still want to write it, and I'm still planning it out, but I really haven't thought of anything except Amory this whole week. The moral of the story here, kids, is that having a little ticking clock in the corner of your computer can do wonders for your writing (if this were a Disney movie, the clock would be cheering me on at this point).

But all work and no play makes Bree a something something. So now it's time for a little break while I go "clean" (i.e., watch Korean dramas and pretend like I'm not wanting to eat chocolate pudding at 9:30 in the morning). Hopefully by the time I write at the end of the weekend, I'll be done with this book and can move onto some other exciting project. I might get crazy and organize my closet.

Nope. Too crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment