/

Monday, March 17, 2014

Earthquakes: A California Alarm

Living in California my entire life, I've become accustomed to waking up to shaking. This morning was no different. But while everyone else in Los Angeles and Orange County jumped on Twitter/Facebook/whatever other social media kids use nowadays to freak out about it, let me tell you the perfect way to deal with an earthquake:

1. Wake up to that annoying noise walls make when the shaking starts;
2. Make sure nothing falls over;
3. Check time;
4. Realize that I can still sleep for two more hours (!);
5. Promptly fall asleep.

See? Nothing to it. When I was six (and a half, thank you), I lived up near San Francisco, and I had the lovely experience of going through the Loma Prieta earthquake. While my main concern was my dolls (I had Barbies lining the top shelves of my bookcases), we had a visitor from Boston who honestly thought she was going to die. While now I understand her fear, back then, I rolled my eyes at her and sighed while I led her to a doorway. I also thought that Fraggle Rock characters caused earthquakes, so I was a dumb little jerk back then.

Anyway, to writing!

I managed a couple thousand more words this weekend, and that makes me...happy. Mainly because, last week, I looked at the chapters I had left and thought to myself, Well, there's not many of those, are there? But now I'm looking at the same amount (well, minus one) and thinking, Good god, I have that many left? So now I'm at that part of the writing process, where I'm so over everything because I'm so close to being done. It's the most frustrating part of writing, because I'm so close to being done, but there's about a bajillion more things that I have to include. That usually means that there's going to be more chapters added, more groans uttered, more eyes rolled (I know, how many eyes can I possibly roll? Well, two, I suppose). 

The only worrisome thing is that March ends in two weeks. I promised myself that I would be done by the end of March. That means I'm going to have to really buckle down and get this thing done. As I'm typing this, I'm waiting for my laundry to dry and watching Once Upon A Time, so I'm doing a great job so far at "getting this thing done". But, really, I need clothes to wear, don't I? And I need to understand why, when the character go back to Storybrooke, they're all idiots (I mean, really. We're going to spread false rumors and smoke out the evil person here. I wonder who it could be? Not the strange new lady who strides angrily out of the restaurant when we announced that we were close to solving the mystery of who is cursing us. Really, storybook characters?). 

But calm down. I'll get it done. I work best under stress. Not really. I stress under stress. More so than usual. Still, I'll get these chapters written, get this story sent off to Staples for binding. Did I mention before how much I love Staples? Wait...Yes, I did. Staples is awesome. Now I feel that I should say that I'm not a spokeperson for that store. Although, if I was, that would be amazing, because do you know how many office supplies I would get for free or a discounted price? What a wonderful job.

I guess now I'll go start writing. And plotting how I can attain my dream job as being Staples' spokesperson. Next time you see me, I'll be covered in pencils and Post-It notes, suckers!

No comments:

Post a Comment