/

Monday, March 31, 2014

A Life Post-Finishing

And pre-editing, I should add! Because the levels of laziness I have reached demand that little addition.

I realize that today is March 31st, the last day of March, which means that tomorrow is April 1st, the first day of April (I did really well in school). That means that Camp Nano begins tomorrow. Am I helping to write a script? Who knows. Am I writing my own story? Well...yes? I haven't really done anything with it since I created the novel on the Camp Nano website, and I haven't really thought about it since a thousand years ago. But the little moments that I do find myself wondering about it, I'm still pretty excited. I'm not really sure where it's going and what the whole point of the story would be, but that's what the camp is for. I'm not shooting for a full 50,000 or whatever words. I'm going for 20,000, which sounds like nothing, but can help me get started and not stress. Now I can write it out, see if it's going to go anywhere, as well as continue plotting it out. Easy-peasy April!

So if I haven't been thinking about that story, what exactly have I been doing since finishing my manuscript? A whole lot of nothing! And it's been wonderful. I'm almost finished with my puzzle, and not a moment too soon. Word of warning: never ever buy a puzzle with the thought, Goodness, I bet I could finish this before next weekend. You set yourself up for failure. It's been nearly a month and I'm sick to death of staring at the tiny pieces of candy that I've had to build. I have two more puzzles sitting next to me, but they're easier, yet they're still puzzles.

What else? Oh, yeah, that little thing, reading! I went a bit nuts on the Net Galley website and signed up for everything they sent me an approval for. Due to that, I have had five books sitting on my Kindle for the last month, patiently waiting for me to stop whatever I was doing and get to them. I went on a bender at the library these last two months, so I had to get through all the books I had on hold, and then I just started the Net Galley ARCs this weekend. I made it through one (if you want my reviews on any of these books, just go to my Goodreads page!) and began two others last night. I'm going to make it through these books if it kills me, which it just might because they're uncorrected proofs and some of the errors are making my mind reel.

Besides all that, I'm taking my time off very seriously. I'm still working (obviously; I'm not a Kennedy), but I'm managing to find time for all the things that I set to the side the last few months. I actually have a tiny backlog of games and feel guilty about it each time I turn on my computer. All of this is another reason why I only want to get 20,000 words down. I want time to do this other stuff because I've missed it. I'm about to reveal what a huge nerd I am, but I found myself missing The Sims 3 the other day, and all I want to do is build a stupid big house for one Sim. But I haven't done that because my story guilt-tripped me into writing it. But now I have the time to be a geek!

And that time is now. (If anyone read that in a John Cena voice, you are awesome.) (And if anyone read that in a Miz voice, you're doubly awesome.)

No comments:

Post a Comment