/

Friday, January 24, 2014

My Week of Real Writing

While I want to talk about what a productive week I've had, I feel that I can't as I sit here watching a movie and reading a book (no, I don't have ADD). There's a thousand things that I should be doing right now, but I'm being lazy and sitting on the couch, wrapped in my TARDIS blanket, wondering why I'm watching this movie. I won't mention the title (since I shouldn't really be watching it...), but where I thought I would get a semi-okay adaptation of one of my favorite books, all I'm getting is a weird inter-species version of The Notebook. That sounds really weird, but it makes a lot of sense, trust me.

Besides that junk, though, I have been rather productive! I've written almost three chapters and I'm rolling on. All the characters just came rushing back to me, like there had been no lull in our conversation. So while I'm excited to keep going, I found that I'm not a really good morning writer. My brain takes some time to wake up and, when it finally does, I find that I have to clean my kitchen or take a shower or go to work. So I have a good chunk of time at night to write, and the better writing comes during that time. (Can you tell? I write these things in the morning before all that stuff catches up to me.) I plan on spending a few hours tonight writing, so maybe I'll get a chapter or two out of it before I collapse into bed.

I'm trying to put myself on a very strict timeline. April is really just around the corner. I'm not sure that I've mentioned it, but this year, my boyfriend and I decided to do a little project together. Have I not said how brilliant my boyfriend is? And not just because he's my boyfriend, but because he's truly brilliant. He came up with this awesome idea for a movie and I told him about Script Frenzy (even though, sadly, it hasn't been "Script Frenzy" in about two years), and he thought that we should work on it together! So I'll be devoting that entire month to hanging out with my boyfriend and working on a really fun sounding script.

But don't worry! I'll have plenty of time to finish this manuscript and then maybe I'll take the month of April off. Give me some perspective on the story. Let it sink in for awhile. Then, in May, I'll start editing and revising. Maybe I can get this one out a little earlier than the first one, since I won't worry about sending it to publishers. That's what killed me last time!

Oh, by the way, I guess this is going to be a sort of public service announcement for those who read this and are writers. In the last week, I've received three emails from a certain Dorrance Publishing. It sounded wonderful, because they found my book from the copyright office and wanted to read my manuscript. But, being the wise old woman I am, I went online to search about this company. It seems like sort of a scam, because many people have said that the company asked them for anywhere from six thousand to ten thousand dollars to publish. Really? That's pathetic. So, in case any of you out there are thinking of publishing or copyright your work, and you get an email from those people, do your research first. I almost didn't. It would have been a mess.

But I'll get out of the pulpit now. I about twelve minutes left of this movie and then I'm free! Maybe I'll talk about it in another post, where I can lie and say I went to see it in the theaters (whoops, do you know why I'm not talking about it now?). Because there is much to complain about with this piece of work. And that makes me so sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment