/

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Finding Moments of Zen

One fun thing about working in the educational system is getting random vacation days. One of those days was yesterday for Martin Luther King, Jr., Day. While I had planned out a certain schedule, and then that schedule got totally messed up, but then it got back on track. If the schedule was so on track, then, why didn't I post this yesterday?

I may have gotten a little carried away.

I had planned on writing for a few hours and then cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, reading, and lazing around for the rest of the day. Surprisingly, I managed to do all that (except laundry. Do you realize how crazy people get for the laundry room on vacation days?), and the writing was what got out of hand. I wrote for two hours, as was scheduled, and then went to reading. But, halfway through one chapter, I ran back to my computer and kept going. Then I started cleaning, but ten minutes later, I was back at the computer. It went like this for the rest of the day, with me writing in spurts and bursts, and then finally stopping when I realized I got absolutely nothing else done (well, I got half of things done).

So what does this mean? It means that the excitement for my story is back. And not a moment too soon.

What happened? Well, I hate to say something that sounds so lame, but it's the book I'm reading. In the last few months, I feel like I've been reading the same story with different covers. When the library told me my copy of Night Film was ready to pick up, I went with low expectations. When I expected, though, was completely different than what I got. I'm not done with it yet, but let's just say, this book is not going the way I thought it would. It's weird and strange and dark and completely out there.

In short, it broke me out of my funk and let me be weird in my writing.

While rereading what I wrote yesterday, I find myself smiling and wondering just what I was thinking, but in a completely good way. Some of the words don't even sound like me. But I like all of it. That's a huge step!

So I'm going to keep it going. I'll be writing every day, even if it's just a few hundred words, or a few thousand pages. And I'm looking into other ways to getting my book out there, so look for a post about that coming up...pretty soon, I think. As long as I have some time to sit at the computer and really map out what I want to do. But I'm excited, and I hope that my excitement excites all of you.

That sounds kind of weird. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment