/

Friday, April 18, 2014

Comic Books Took Over This Post

I prepared myself to start writing about how this is the middle of April and that there's so much time left for Camp Nano...and then I looked at a calendar. Sure, this is the middle of April, but I noticed that the end of April is less than two weeks away. As you can tell from the nifty word count bar that I've been trying to update daily, I'm staying a bit ahead of the game. I've fallen behind quite a few times, but I've been trying to discipline myself and write every morning. It's a bit exciting to know that I'm going to finish another story, even if nothing will come of it. I think I mentioned that I have a million stories piled up somewhere in my computer. It's true, and it sometimes upsets me that I don't get to finish them. I try to save them for Camp sessions or just for when I need a break from writing an actual book, but most of them steamroll to an exciting moment and then...Pffffft. Nothing. It's done. I'm over it.

This is why I don't dye my hair often. I get so bored so quickly.

But I have found something new to keep my interest in little half hour increments: comic books. Yes, I realize that I'm not the first person to have discovered these little gems of awesomeness, but this is the first time that I've been pretty excited about reading them. About two years ago, my boyfriend made me read Watchmen so that we could watch the movie (which we still haven't...sigh). It took me about a month to get through, but I really loved it. Of course my favorite character (which, I'll admit, my boyfriend did tell me not to get too attached to) died, but the story was amazing and the art was beautiful. I took a little break and then Joe Hill decided to come out with The Wraith, a super creepy comic that's kind of a companion to his novel NOS4A2 (seriously, go look at all of that). I finally found a place to read them on my Kindle (because I've been a total dork about going to a comic book store) and rushed through them last week. Then another amazing girl, Noelle Stevenson (who writes the comic Nimona....go check that out, too!) came out with her own comic book Lumberjanes. I've been freaking out about it for months and now it's out and I've read it and I'm going to WonderCon this Sunday to get another copy and meet her and I'm fangirling right now like you wouldn't believe.

You may remember this post awhile back and how I gushed about a certain wrestler-turned-comic book artist Scott Lost. He's also supposed to be at WonderCon with his second comic. Honestly, last link, but his series is pretty awesome.

Now that I feel like a complete nerd (I'm also watching Bates Motel, playing Lego The Hobbit, and wrapped up in my TARDIS blanket, so take that, nerds!), I should probably get my day going. My long, eventful day of...nothing.

I wonder if JK Rowling ever has this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment