/

Monday, April 21, 2014

Comic Books and Other Words

Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, my boyfriend and I went to a comic book convention. We spent an hour and a half wandering around a rather hot area-like place, surrounded by comic books, comic book inspired clothing, and enough skin and tight clothing to make me wonder if we hadn't stumbled into an adult convention on mistake (it would have been a lot less dorky). We bought some comic books, I bought a pair of TARDIS slippers (all so I could get a TARDIS bag that I could have bought alone, but the lovely cashier didn't tell me that until I had already paid for the slippers), and we saw a man dressed as Easter Bunny Wolverine (carrots for the blades, bunny ears on the head). It was the weirdest, dorkiest experience of my entire life. It takes a special type of person to attend one of those things, and I am not that kind of special.

Not that those conventions (or the people who attend) are bad. It was pretty fun, when we found the things that we wanted. But it was kind of a mess of people and things and sweat and cosplaying. Just a mess, really. Let's just say that I'm never again going to wish to attend Comic Con.

Other than the healthy dose of nerdiness this weekend, I spent a lot of time doing a whole lot of nothing. We had a few plans set up, but we scraped all those once we sat down on the couch. It's always rather nice doing nothing on weekends, and I managed to not only catch up to the word count goal for NaNo, but I'm ahead now. I tend to fall behind for awhile and then go a little nuts one day. Now I only have about 5,000 words left. I could most likely finish this week, and then I'd be done with NaNo and not have to do anything with writing forever!

Oh, wait. Editing.

Siiiiiiigh. Yeah, I know. I'm getting to it. When I posted the little preview on my birthday, that was the first time in weeks that I had looked at that manuscript. I have to admit, I felt a little wistful looking at my words. I want to get back to Amory and to get her story going, but I know that there's going to be so much more to this editing process than the previous one. In order to finish this manuscript, I wrote the bare bones of what I wanted. I know there's a million things I want to add, meaning this isn't just about grammar and spelling anymore. Editing on the computer first and then print it out at Staples second.

Oh my god, why can't my cat read? She would be a fine editor.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a final manuscript in about June, maybe closer to July. It still won't be out until the end of summer, because then there's the aesthetics of it all: the cover, the making it look like a real book.

Geez, who decided that I wanted to write?

No comments:

Post a Comment