/

Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day...Hooray?

I'm not supposed to be out of bed right. I'm not even supposed to be showered or out of pajamas right now. It's Labor Day. School starts tomorrow. I should be spending this day in bed, relishing the sticky drool coming from my cat and reading a totally non-depressing Russian book (sarcasm at its finest, folks). Instead, I woke up with a mission. Well, it's actually been a mission for the last couple of days, but I have successfully pushed it aside to finish the sixth series of Doctor Who. And start the seventh. Don't judge me. You know you'd be doing the same thing if I offered you the sugar doughnut muffins and chocolate chip cookie dough I made this weekend. I blame the sugar.

Anyway! I was looking through the Kindle publishing website and saw that I could make my own cover and upload it. Shock and awe, right? I know, I'm an idiot. I don't read the fine print. Never have, most likely never will. But I saw it the other day and thought to myself, well, gosh, there's a lot of fine stock photos on the internet. I should see if I can be creative and make my own cover! (This started after I made my own ticket display box, so now I think I'm Martha Stewart.) So I've been scouring the internet for the perfect picture, and I finally found one! Except it's on deviantART and I don't think that I can use their stuff without paying them or begging politely or clubbing them over the head and stealing it. Whatever way, it doesn't seem right. So I went to other websites and found beautiful pictures that they swore were free...for one low payment of $14.99! We need to take twerk and the wrong definition of literally out of the dictionary to make more room for free, because some people on the internet don't seem to understand what that means. Sigh.

Usually at this point, I would just give up. Move on. Use the stupid cover I have. But no. Not today. Not on Labor Day. (I really have no idea what Labor Day has to do with this, but I felt a little Billy Pullman from Independence Day creeping into my head.) So I'm sorting through more pictures on Google and have come to a conclusion: people on the internet are freaking weird. I typed in apocalypse and a bunch of half naked women with gas masks on popped up. Fallen angel? More half naked women with wings strapped on their backs.

What.

I have seen so many of these kinds of pictures that I'm getting to the point where I'm like, wow, I might be able to see this half naked woman with wings falling off her back pleading with the camera on my book cover. Is this how it starts, internet? You just break us down with ridiculous images and then we cave? Is this how we started to worship cats on the internet?

So, no, I have yet to find the perfect picture for my book. But, like I said, I'm not giving up. I wish, not for the last time, that I knew how to draw. Or how to work Photoshop. Whoa. Did you know that Photoshop is only $20? I thought it was, like, hundreds of dollars. Hm. Maybe that's something I'll invest in. But that still wouldn't solve the problem of me knowing how to work the stupid thing. Back to square one.

The moment I find the perfect picture and make the perfect cover, I'll announce it to the world. And then I'll probably die from excitement. If that happens, my cat is taking over the blog, so get ready for some cute pictures and nonsense because she's doesn't know how to type, people. She's a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment