/

Friday, September 6, 2013

Gushing...For Lack of an Update

No, my cover is not finished. Stop giving me that look. It's not for lack of trying. I just can't seem to find the perfect picture, and every time I do find a good one, it's $15 to buy a credit or whatever so I can purchase it. What happened to sharing? Or realizing that there are people out there with enough common sense not to spend $15 on a credit? Gone, out the window, along with other things that I won't get into.

So, for lack of cover updates, I decided to do a little gushing, because I have read some really awesome books lately and whenever I try to tell people in my life about them, I get those blank stares and polite nods. Pretty much the same expression I get when people talk to me about their children.

That's mean. Oh wells.

Left Drowning - Okay, I'll admit it. I read those New Adult romance books like they're going out of style. It started with Abbi Glines and then moved onto Katy Evans (read Real and try not to blush) and it's spiraling out of control. I got a Amazon Prime 30 day trial (because the last series of Doctor Who is free for Prime members) and borrowed this book because I heard good things about it. How good? I stayed up until two in the morning (an unheard of time for me during the week) to finish it. The characters are a mess, and that right there is why I kept reading. These people had to be okay. They had to get through their messes and fight for what they wanted. My favorite was Sabin, because there's no way that he can't be your favorite. He's loud and obnoxious and loving and sweet and funny. And he's not even the hot, mysterious main man. Listen to the good reviews, because this book is amazing.

Legend and Prodigy - Yeah, it's taken me awhile to get on these books. I bought Legend way back in April, and just never got around to reading it. I finally made some time last month and it was kind of...I don't know. I liked the idea of the stories (a messed up, divided United States; a rebel kid who fights against the system for what he believes in; a girl who's the sweetheart of the government finding out that maybe those higher ups aren't as good as she's been taught), something about the first one left me...unsatisfied, I suppose. But the second one was awesome. The action picked up and things started falling into place and moving along. I thought the third one was coming out this month, but it's not until November, so that kind of sucks now that I'm into the story.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman. Sigh. What can I say about this man? I had to put this book down several times because I was crying so much. And it wasn't even anything that was happening or the characters were going through tough times. The first line that made me cry was, "Books were safer than other people anyway." Okay, the protagonist is a child, but that's not why I was crying. I cried because he sounded like me. I related to this kid so much more than any other character ever. Besides my pathetic life, the story was wonderful. It's mystical and magical and surprising and so completely sweet that I just wanted to die by the end. It's exactly how I pictured a Neil Gaiman book. Even now, just writing about it, I'm smiling like an idiot and I feel that I have to tell so many more people than who read this.

Cassie Draws the Universe - I won this book on Goodreads and left it for such a long time. In a fit of depression the other week, I picked it up because the author said that it wasn't a typical young adult book. Wow. That is putting it mildly. This book was insane, and in such a good way. I'll admit, I was bored for the first half, but I understand the whole setting up of it all. It's crazy and disturbing and slightly disgusting, and I don't know what this says about me, but I was totally in awe of Cassie by the end. Oh, god, don't read the book with that line in mind, please. You're going to think I'm some kind of crazed serial killer.

There were other books I read, but they didn't really make any lasting impression on me. Right now I'm on The Brothers Karamazov and Sweet Tooth, so there most likely won't be any gushing on those books. My brain may implode from the alternating depression and boredom. If not, I'll be back Monday! Have a good weekend and go do something fun. Unless you're in southern California. If you're out here, stay inside and sit in front of your air conditioner or freezer. It's ridiculous out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment