/

Friday, July 26, 2013

The End of Camp!

As a kid, I never went to camp. I don't count that one week outdoor education thing in sixth grade, because my brother was a counselor there and so I never had a chance to feel like I was away from home, being a real outdoors woman. Due to that, though, I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about the end of Camp NaNo. I'm glad I won (I'll update the word count thingie right after I post this), but the Camp session always feels a bit...messy. By the end of the month, some parts of my story feel like they make no sense and I'm sick of the characters and all their problems. It's like I'm sick of my own brain, and that makes me feel strange. Of course, it could be because I don't plan out the Camp sessions, that I just write words and hope they make some kind of sense. Over-planning drives me crazy, and, apparently, so does under-planning.

But now that Camp is out of the way (sorry, NaNo, you're really great, still!), I've been slowly crawling toward the ultimate goal (almost put gaol and it would have stayed): publishing on Kindle.

There's been several websites out there that have been tremendous help and even more free books about what to do, but, strangely, the best resource for help has come from the Kindle Publishing website itself (gasp!). I'll admit it: I'm not one to read the terms and conditions on, well, anything, really. When I signed up for Kindle Publishing, the first thing I thought of was, well, I suppose I should scour the internet to see if there's anything that can help me understand this website. I never said I was brilliant. So I spent about a week looking at other websites and junk, and then I Googled help with Kindle Publishing, and lo and behold, the first website that popped up was Kindle Publishing. Good lord. Talk about going in circles.

So, this weekend, I'm going to scroll through it all and figure out just what exactly I have to do. I may recruit my boyfriend because I have a tendency of not reading everything and then complaining that they didn't explain anything. I'm impatient.

Buuuut...next Friday, I'm planning on posting a bit from the first chapter of All You Left Behind. I was going to put up another part, but then I realized that no one would really understand what's happening, so I had to content myself with the first chapter. Sigh. I'm going to start reediting next week, just to see if I've missed anything and to make sure it all makes sense. I figure that the best thing I can do is post something and see if anyone is interested or even reads this thing. If not, at least I can get over the fear of putting my work out there. One step at a time, right? And then it's time to put it up, move on, and reanimate these characters for another adventure. Like zombies. That I can make do whatever I want. Like little siblings. Zombie little brothers and sisters. Quick! Trademark that!

No comments:

Post a Comment