/

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Allergies and Editing

Before anyone points out it's Tuesday (like anyone will), let me plead my case. I had every intention of posting yesterday: I had my browser all queued up and everything, but then a little thing called allergies got in my way. In beautiful southern California (sarcasm heavily intended), the weather has yet to decide on what it wants to do. Sunny, cloudy, windy, cold, warm, it's been all those things in the last three days. If you have allergies, then you understand that changing weather is like death. Runny nose, puffy/itchy eyes, sore throat, sneezing, coughing, I was a walking WebMD billboard. But I'm loaded up on Claritin and have my air cleaning system running non-stop at high, so I'll get through this post even if it kills me.

In case you couldn't tell by my rather dramatic explanation above, I did absolutely nothing yesterday. I grabbed my manuscript that I've already edited and took it to bed, but then my TV suddenly turned on by it's own volition and made me watch three hours of Doctor Who. Well, that and the fact that my eyes couldn't read words to save my life. (Just a little example of how bad it got: while watching TV, I said to myself, Who is that weird blob on my screen? The answer to that was the Doctor.) So I started looking through it today and I'm pretty happy with what I've got, so it might go quicker than expected.

But I have a confession to make. I may have started writing the second book to Amory's story. I didn't want to start until around October or whenever I put the first book up, but something jumped inside me on Friday night and made me write a few hundred words. It's nothing much, but at least I have a direction of where I want to go. I'm trying to back off it until I have a set storyboard and really know what I'm doing, but it's hard. I've loved these characters since 2008, and I want (nay, need!) them to finish their journey.

I still promise that I'll have an excerpt up on Friday. Depending on what's happening this weekend, I might just post it up Friday and not have anything else. We'll see how the rest of the week goes. I only say that because I've sneezed twice in a row right now and Stephen Colbert is beginning to look a little blurry. But that could just be him.

(Quick edit: I pulled down the word count bar because Camp is over and I don't need it anymore, but I'm sure it'll be back up for the real NaNo. Maybe a prettier one if I can find it, or if anyone knows of one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment