/

Monday, October 12, 2015

Hello October!

Okay, yeah, October has been around for about two weeks now, but it gets my general sentiment. It's the thought that counts.

This is a week later than I wanted, but, honestly, things were not syncing fast enough for my taste. While I thought about work when I last posted, I didn't think of all the things I would have to do for work. Reading books, making packets, trying to learn about a test that I didn't know existed until a month ago. It's been exhausting and frustrating, mainly because I'm spending so much of my home time worrying about things that I should just leave at work. But, nope. That's not my style. I have to brings those things home and freak out about them here.

It's not fun.

Not to mention that I see my boyfriend a total of an hour (if I'm lucky!) during the weekdays. And I don't get to Doctor Who until Friday or sometimes right before the new episode airs. Also, did you know that Cops is still on and we're currently obsessed with it and it plays a million times a day and I just want to sit around and watch all the episodes?

Yeah.

So. Things. What are those important things that I mentioned in my last post?

Well, one of those things I can't talk about right now. It's nothing related to writing or a book deal or anything like that. Wouldn't that be nice, though? Someone to call me and say, hey, Bree, we magically read that book you haven't finished yet and we'd love to publish it, okay? Here's a bajillion dollars so you don't have to work anymore.

At least my imagination is still intact.

No, that important thing will come later. But the one I can talk about is that my boyfriend has joined a sprint car team crew. If you have no idea what sprint cars are, join the club! Just kidding. That was me about two years ago. He tried explaining it to me and I just nodded, smiling, because I thought he was insane. Then he showed me videos and I thought he was even crazier. But now...now I love it. I thought about looking around the internet for a good example of sprint cars, but there's just too much out there. Google it.

Anyway, for the last year or so, we've been talking about what we can do to help some of these teams. This is an expensive sport, and not everyone that does it is a Rockefeller. We've given money and bought shirts and all that normal fan stuff, but that didn't seem like enough. So when my boyfriend was, effectively, handed a golden ticket a few weeks ago, he took it. A team needed help in the pit area with getting the car ready, keeping it going, and all that other crew-type stuff. My boyfriend, handy man that he is, volunteered and the team snatched him up.

Does it add another piece to the plate? Yes.

Does it stress me out that he's going to be working in a potentially dangerous environment? Yes.

Is he deliriously happy because this is something that he's wanted to do since he was a child, and so I'm so, so, so excited for him? Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

All this means is that we're going to be busy on the weekends. And that we have to change our eating habits, which have been...less than stellar. That means I have to meal plan and cook, which I don't mind in the least, but it sucks that I can't cook it so it's hot when he gets home. It also sucks that it's about a thousand degrees in California (seriously, I'm going swimming after I finish this) still and cooking is ridiculous in a house with no air conditioning.

But I'm making it work. Because I have to.

One of the other things that I can talk about is changing my writing habits. I've been trying to write everyday, but schedules have other ideas. Still, I've committed myself to finishing one of my stories. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but it kind of is. I get so invested in a story and then...another idea pops up. And then another. And then I forget what my original story was even about.

This is not a book I wish to publish. This is just something fun that's been floating around in my Word files for about three or four years now. During my downtime at work (really, I make the kids do about an hour of TOEFL testing so I can let my brain catch up with the day), I fleshed it out into a for reals story and now it's going. I'm hoping to finish it by the end of this month so I can be ready for NaNo next month. There was a scary few days when I thought I wasn't going to do it this year, but I love it too much not to.

I think that covers all the important things. I'm going to keep this thing updated at least once a week, and I'm thinking that it might be on Thursdays, because those are my less busy days in the morning. I'l still post book reviews every now and again, but my reading has slowed considerably because of this whole schedule mess. But I won't give this up. This helps me, weirdly enough.

Just get ready for more sprint car talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment