/

Thursday, October 29, 2015

How To Properly Conquer NaNo

Ah, the end of October. With it brings my favorite holiday, the faint promise of stuffing and candied yams, and chilly temperatures (well, not in the  high 90s here, I guess). It also ushers in the beginning of NaNo, and I'm glad to say that I'll be on time this year!

Every Halloween, my boyfriend and I are usually at Knott's Scary Farm or somewhere else along the same ilk. It's silly fun, and most of the time, the mazes are amazing. But we finished all this this year earlier than expected. I don't know, I'm going to sound like a disillusioned teenager here, but everything was so...commercialized. We went to Universal and it was insane, with people waiting in lines for up to two hours. Two hours! We walked away from that with my favorite thing of the entire night being the Transformers ride. Then Knott's was...interesting. First of all, it was disgustingly warm that night, and the indoor mazes didn't really help. Second, there are some strange people out there. Not working in the mazes, just...in the world, in general. It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of crowds, but people are getting weirder. They also took out the best maze and kept the prices the same, and it was a mess. In both parks (Universal and Knott's) I found my smiling politely more than jumping. It all made me feel so old, and I've never been happier of that.

But this year! This year, we're not going to be a theme park for Halloween. Nope, we're going to be in Arizona, marveling at our good luck at being able to see three of our favorite bands: Tool, Primus, and Coheed and Cambria. Okay, only one of those bands is really for me, but I love watching the crowd for the other two bands. Have you ever seen Primus fans? They're wonderful and so high and don't care. Same with Tool. Those people made me so happy, not because they're acting weird, but because they're so into the music and everything around them is so wonderful and they want to share that experience with everyone. Some music crowds make me happy to be in this world.

Anyway! That means that on Sunday, November first, I'll wake up and be able to start typing away. Usually I'm so tired from the night before that I skip the first and wait for the second. Or third. Or maybe even the second week. By that time, I'm so over the story that I have prepared that I just start typing whatever and none of it makes any sense. But not this year. I have a story idea that I've loved forever (really - I'll get to that in a later post), I know where I'm going with it, and I'm so excited to start on Sunday. We're staying at my boyfriend's parents' house, which means I don't have to wake up and get ready for work the next day. I'm already prepared (or as prepared as I usually am), so all I have to worry about is making sure I don't wake anyone while cackling happily over my amazing word putting together skills.

Also, their community has a Starbucks and a doughnut (the little red lines informed me that donut was going to be a no-no in this situation) shop in the same center. Sometimes I love Arizona.

Now, however, I have to worry about packing and getting ready for work. I have to prepare for an interesting drive to Arizona, since we're taking both dogs in a car that is not very comfortable for my overly tall boyfriend. The cat gets free reign of the house while we're gone, so that's going to be fun to come home to. Oh! I'll also have a post on Monday about a new book I just finished. Get ready for some gushing.

Have a lovely weekend, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment