/

Monday, August 11, 2014

National Lazy Day Was A Success

I did not have a very productive weekend (c'mon, it was National Lazy Day today and I'm nothing if not a stickler for holiday rules), but that doesn't mean I didn't start writing. Or rewriting, I guess I should say.

Would it please you if I said I have about 3,000 words already? It would? Wow. You are easy to please.

Yes, I only have about 3,000 words right now, but I can already tell that this version is going to be easier to write than the last. I know where I'm going with this one and I want to write this one. When I started writing the first draft back at the start of the year, I wasn't really into it. I think I was writing it more because I knew that was when I started revising AYLB and I felt like I should stick to a schedule. Instead of taking all that time organizing and making sure everything made sense, I just dived right into this one, sense be damned! But then, as I started writing, I noticed that my notebook started filling up more with questions and ideas and general notes about what I was doing wrong. I never mentioned any of that because I didn't want to discourage myself, especially when I was nearing 20,000 or whatever words.

In the end, I wasn't satisfied with what I wrote because it wasn't good enough. I didn't stop and think about what other people would think about it; I stopped and thought about if I liked it. And, like I said before, the more I read it, the more I didn't really like it. My notes and ideas made sense in my notebook, and I liked what I had there, but it was going to be near impossible to fit it in with the story. But now that I have a clean slate, I can include all those tiny things I wanted to add and they'll combine to make the story that I wanted to write.

So, it's the beginning of August (well, okay, the second week, but you get the idea). My summer adventure lasts for another two weeks and my weekends are about to get slammed (seriously, my calendar looks ridiculous). But I figure that if I spent most of the rest of my summer vacation writing, I should do pretty well. Like I said, I have about 3,000 words, and that was only from one sitting. I wasn't kidding when I said that this one is way easier to write now. But this doesn't mean that I'll finish it this month. And it certainly doesn't mean that (if I somehow miraculously do finish it this month) I'll be editing next month. But this story will get done, that much I promise. Hey, it's four months until Christmas, so maybe I'll be sending you all a great Christmas present! Or holiday present, I guess, is the politically correct term, right? Whatever, it'll be a present. Take it and shut your mouths.

Just kidding. But really.

Anyway, I guess I should get some writing in before I turn in for the night (oh, right, I'm typing this up on Sunday night). Maybe if I didn't spend so much time fighting with the Sims, I'd have been writing all this time. Priorities, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment