/

Monday, March 11, 2013

New Inventions

Okay, so this isn't a new invention. But it's new to me...even though I knew about it before. Whatever. It's new!

While I was stuck at one particularly annoying part in my story, my brain kept whirring. It was making plans for future scenes, bringing together characters that hadn't even met yet. When this happened before, I would jot down some notes and hope that my brain was in the mood for a certain scene at a later date. But, one night, I couldn't do that. The images in my head were too vivid, too real. I had to write it down now. But...what about the rest of the story?? What about the parts that were stuck in that hazy fog? What was I to do? So, of course, I did what any rational writer would do: I Googled my idea. I wanted to know if there were others out there who wrote out of sequence and what they thought about it.

Lucky me! I found thousands of posts about people who wrote out of sequence and they all loved it. Of course, the overwhelming advice was to make sure that you blend everything in, but that was kind of a "duh". But I started writing out of sequence and...I love it. No, love is not strong enough...Adore. I'm enthralled with this idea. Whenever an idea pops in my head, I don't bother to write down a quick note or sketch a scene. No way! I take a few minutes to think about, visualize it, and then I start writing. I'm all over the place right now, and it's probably going to be a pain to make sure everything blends and makes sense, but this is wonderful. I don't feel stuck anymore.

So, yeah, sorry if anyone was expecting some awesome, amazingly new writing instrument, like a program that scans your brain and writes down the picture it sees there (oh my gosh...). It's not even really a new idea to me, since, for about five years now, I've had the ending to this story written out in my head. But I never got it down because, well, that was the end! Now, however...the whole world has opened up!

No comments:

Post a Comment