/

Monday, May 18, 2015

The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker

It's Monday, so now it's okay for me to say that I have no writing update! But I will for this Friday, because I've been busy working out the second story. Well, not physically, but my brain has been in overdrive all weekend!

Apologies in advance, because this book, The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker, doesn't come out for another two weeks. I know: I need to stop being so efficient.

Your greatest enemy isn't what you fight, but what you fear.

Elizabeth Grey is one of the king's best witch hunters, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and doling out justice. But when she's accused of being a witch herself, Elizabeth is arrested and sentenced to burn at the stake.

Salvation comes from a man she thought was her enemy. Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful and dangerous wizard in the kingdom, offers her a deal: he will save her from execution if she can break the deadly curse that's been laid upon him.

But Nicholas and his followers know nothing of Elizabeth's witch hunting past--if they find out, the stake will be the least of her worries. And as she's thrust into the magical world of witches, ghosts, pirates, and one all-too-handsome healer, Elizabeth is forced to redefine her ideas of right and wrong, of friends and enemies, and of love and hate.


When I started this book, I didn't really know what to think. Elizabeth is Anglia's best witch hunter, but she's suddenly thrown into jail because she's found with herbs that would help her avoid becoming pregnant with a very unwanted child. Her life is a mess at the start, and it doesn't get any clearer as her adventure moves on. I wasn't sure where it was going to go or what anyone was really thinking, you know? It's one of those books, where you question everyone's motives because one thing has made you paranoid over everything

The great thing about this book was it was like fifty in one. There were little bits of every kind of fantasy book in this one, but the author blended it all expertly enough where it all made sense, and not just in there for decoration. The characters were awesome, but I wish that there was more Peter the pirate in there. He was wonderful and made me so happy whenever he popped his head in there. Next to him, I loved Schuyler. Oh my god, a revenant in love with a witch that can hear everyone's thoughts and quietest whispers, and he's deadly as can be? Yes please. I want a Schuyler and Peter book next. That is, I'm assuming there's going to be a second book, yes? 

The Witch Hunter oscillates between slow and fast-paced, because I was about 60% through it and wondering if there was going to be enough time for Elizabeth to get her adventure really going. I guess that was really my only true complaint (other than more pirate and revenant): it took so long to get to the real reason for everything, and then I was left chewing my nails for the end. I thought that we weren't going to get to it and that I'd have to wait for a second book before I knew if anything happened. But, lo and behold, things happened and they were good and everyone was good. More or less. Sort of.

Anyway, maybe I should get my Monday going because I'm already behind and I've been up for about three hours now. Like I said, pop around on Friday because I'll have writing updates and it'll be fun! Yeah! I mean, it should be. It'll be informative. And that's pretty fun sometimes, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment