/

Monday, May 25, 2015

End of Days by Susan Ee

Happy Memorial Day! Well, for the American readers out there. Happy Monday for everyone else! Anyway, I finally woke up this morning (thank you, four day weekend), and came right to the computer. See, we're madly in love and can't be away from each other for more than a few hours. No! That would be sad. No, I'm just pretty excited about the book today, End of Days by Susan Ee!

Yes, this book came out two weeks ago. Yes, I was in the middle of a messy NetGalley shelf. But I finally got around to reading End of Days, and now I feel the need to shout about it to everyone that passes me.

After a daring escape from the angels, Penryn and Raffe are on the run. They’re both desperate to find a doctor who can reverse the twisted changes inflicted by the angels on Raffe and Penryn’s sister. As they set off in search of answers, a startling revelation about Raffe’s past unleashes dark forces that threaten them all.

When the angels release an apocalyptic nightmare onto humans, both sides are set on a path toward war. As unlikely alliances form and strategies shift, who will emerge victorious? Forced to pick sides in the fight for control of the earthly realm, Raffe and Penryn must choose: Their own kind, or each other?



The first two books in this series were amazing and I couldn't stop telling everyone about those, either (review here: http://breegarcia.blogspot.com/2015/03/penryn-and-end-of-days-by-susan-ee.html). The end of the world is here, and Penryn is only trying to keep her little sister and mother safe from the invading angels that want blood any way they can get it. Sadly, she's learning that she can't rely on Raffe (the archangel Raphael) as much as she wishes. With his wings back, Raffe is set to take his place in Heaven and calm the angels. That means never being able to see Penryn again, because she is a Daughter of Man and Raffe's followers were punished severely for that same issue.

Most of this book is a suspenseful tug of war between Penryn and Raffe, with each other them pleading their case on whether to stay or to go. The best part, though, is that Penryn didn't throw herself at Raffe or go comatose for days when he makes his decision. She picks herself up, turns to her sister, and goes on with life. She does everything she can to make life habitable for her family, knowing that these might be the last days they have. It's not until the end, though, that Penryn finally steps into the role that I've been begging her to step into since the second book. She understands that there's more to her family than she thought and that there's more to her, too. 

She also gets to go to Hell, so there's that fun part, as well.

What I really enjoyed most was the ending. I'm not going to spoil it, but I am going to say this: it was so normal. Like, day to day normal. When I read the final chapter, it took me a day or two to process what happened. There was no life-changing revelation. There was no big, huge change. It seemed like just another day, and I loved it. I love that this HUGE thing happened, and then back to the day to day grind. It was refreshing to see something like that, especially in a novel that dealt with such fantastical things.

Okay, yeah, I'm gushing, but deal with it. I loved these books. I keep looking at them on my Kindle and wondering when I can get back to read them all again, because it's going to happen. I love Penryn. She's awesome and strong, but also has feelings. She just knows when to have them and when to pack them away. I love Raffe, even though he's kind of a jerk sometimes and it feels like he's stringing Penryn along at some points. It's to be expected, though, because he doesn't know how to act. He's an angel. An idiot one, sometimes. I absolutely adore Dee-Dum. Those twins are the best thing that have happened to secondary characters in a long time. They make you forget that the end of the world is happening and that any of these characters could be killed at any second. 

Anyway, I'm putting up the links for this book because everyone should go get it. Get the first two, while you're at it, okay? It will help the third book make so much more sense.

BN: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/end-of-days-susan-ee/1120986002?ean=9781477829707

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/End-Days-Penryn/dp/1477829709/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432575402&sr=8-1&keywords=end+of+days

Okay, now I'm off to do some writing of my own. If the internet will stop trying to bother me with such interesting and cool things. Really, it's just Tumblr. That damn website. 

See you Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment