/

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Schedules? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Schedules!

I thought about writing this tomorrow, I really did. But then I also thought about how I can sleep in tomorrow morning, and how I've already cleaned and done laundry, so I really have nothing to do in the morning. How does that explain my rationalization to write this tonight? Are you kidding me? I'm going to be in bed until at least noon, and my desk is about three and a half feet from my bed. There's no way I'm reaching over to grab my laptop. Not that far.

Anyway, I've been looking over my story and the Camp NaNoWriMo website, and realized that I wanted to do some gushing. Not for any books, because I've actually been kind of slow in that department (I've been rereading the Breathing series by Rebecca Donovan, in preparation for Out of Breath on Tuesday), but for something that I've kind of taken for granted the last seven months or so.

I bought Scrivener for Windows because it was 50% off for winners of last year's NaNo. Everyone had raved about the software, but when I tried the demo, I didn't really like it. I think it was because I was using yWriter (which is another wonderful piece of software, and totally free!) and so used to it, that Scrivener seemed like a complete foreign entity. Instead of playing around with it, though, I dismissed it and sent it to the deepest part of my computer, not even bothering to download it again when I had to clean my computer completely. It must have been around February when I thought about using it. I wanted something with a storyboard, a place where I could see my ideas in front of my face, and my notebooks tend to get a little messy. So I tried it out, grumbling and cursing the entire way. When, lo and behold...I fell in love. Once I learned how to use it, I found that Scrivener is beautiful. It keeps everything super organized and I can easily move things around. I have everything I could possibly need in one little space: chapters, scenes, characters, storyboards, places, research...Get the gist?

Now I apologize to Scrivener every time I get on it, because I was so stupid. How could I have tossed this thing away so easily? It's truly disgusting how excited I get whenever I open it and see the now familiar toolbar at the top and the chapter folders on the side. It does kind of suck when putting my finished story into Microsoft so I can format it, but if that's all I have to deal with, then I'm fine!

My love affair is now in the open and I can breath a little easier. Oh, and in case no one noticed, I changed more stuff around here. Now you can see a lovely picture of my boyfriend and me from about a million years ago at the old Yankee Stadium. I don't look anything like that anymore, but my boyfriend is still as handsome as ever. Stupid boys. There's also a widget beneath all that, where I'm planning to update my Camp NaNoWriMo word count. My story isn't actually called Summer, but it takes place during this season, so it's a placeholder for now. I'm open to suggestions! I'm truly terrible at titles. And first lines. But that's usually only with essays.

Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment