/

Friday, June 14, 2013

Ideas...

After my last post, I really hunkered down and thought about the next thing I want to write. Because I want to get going on something, since I feel a little lazy when I'm not doing anything. But in my ADD-addled brain, picking one idea is like eating just one Pringle: it's not going to happen. I thought of putting up a poll on this thing, but there were two things wrong about that. 1. No one comments, so I can only assume that the only people who come here are people who make mistakes, and 2. I have no idea how to do that! I'm not that tech savvy. Instead, I've decided to go the incredible sophisticated thing...and pick out of a hat.

Of course, I don't have a hat, so that means I'm going to number my ideas and go to Random.org. That site is amazing, even if all it does is pick a number. Yet...it helps greatly in some situations. After doing it about ten times, I got number 3 all ten times. Sigh.

Not that number 3 is bad or anything, it's just...a bit autobiographical. Aren't those the hardest stories to write? I've been wanting to write this for awhile now, but I could never find the proper backstory to go with it. Now, after last weekend, I think I have it.

The basic story is about one girl who moved away from her family because they were insane. Not clinically, but...you know, how most families are. But then her brother goes to jail and she has to come home because every one of her family members are falling apart. There's her mother, who tried to make her daughter into a friend more than anything, then got a divorce and turned against her daughter once she found that her child wouldn't support her in her wrong motives. There's her dad, a calming influence, the one non-insane one of the bunch, but he's planning on moving away to get his life back on track. The older sister who believes she's living the American dream, with her big house, two kids, loving husband...but she's never been very good at money or treating her sister like anything more than a servant. Her family is also on the brink: an alcoholic husband who is clueless about her spending, and two sons caught in the middle. Finally, there's her older brother, stuck in jail and caught between confusion about why he's there and relief that he's finally away from the family. Through it all, though, they know that they have to stick together in order to get anything done, but they all turn to the girl, believing her to be the most stable one and the glue of the family.

Not completely autobiographical, so don't think my family is this insane! I've taken bits and pieces from my family and other families that I've known, and melded them together to make one big mess. If you can't tell, I also took a big hint from Arrested Development, especially the character of Michael. I adore him, but he's such a jerk, and I think that's what a main character needs. I hate reading about main characters who are perfect and everyone around them thinks they're perfect, because we all have flaws. And I know I've been pretty flawed when it comes to my family, so why shouldn't this girl?

Okay, now that this has turned into a diary, I should stop. Anyway, that's the story. I'll most likely get started on it next week. That means story mapping this weekend. Luckily, new video games come out this weekend, so my boyfriend will be happily distracted, so I can work on it. Keep your fingers crossed, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment