/

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Rebel Bully Geek Pariah by Erin Jade Lange

Lucky you! You get a bonus review this week!

A few weeks ago, I spent a weekend in concert limbo {we weren't sure if we were going}, so I read a lot because I didn't think I'd get invested in anything too serious. I ended up getting extremely invested in this book, but luckily for me, I finished it in about two days.


The Rebel: Once popular, Andi is now a dreadlocked, tattooed wild child.
The Bully: York torments everyone who crosses his path, especially his younger brother.
The Geek: Tired of being bullied, Boston is obsessed with getting into an Ivy League college. 
The Pariah: Choosing to be invisible has always worked for Sam . . . until tonight. 

When Andi, York, Boston, and Sam find themselves hiding in the woods after a party gets busted by the cops, they hop into the nearest car they see and take off—the first decision of many in a night that will change their lives forever. By the light of day, these four would never be caught dead together, but when their getaway takes a dangerously unpredictable turn, sticking together could be the only way to survive. 


When I saw this on NetGalley, it was advertised as "The Breakfast Club meets Breaking Bad."

How could I not request something like that?

Thank the book gods, that is the most accurate description for this book. Rebel Bully Geek Pariah is heavily influenced by The Breakfast Club, because the four main characters fit into these roles so perfectly, even if they don't want admit it. Sam, the narrator, has spent her entire life wondering when her mom is actually going to be a mom, and she makes herself invisible from those she wishes would leave her alone. She knows more about certain things that a girl her age should. Andi, the former popular girl, has descended into a dark hole and it doesn't seem like she wants to dig herself out. Boston and York are brothers who are different as can be, but they both hold secrets that only siblings can understand.

Even though these four made poor decisions one night, it was fun watching them grow closer because of the trouble they had caused each other {spoiler: it involves drugs. Lots and lots of drugs}. These four have done everything wrong - and not just that night - but they find that maybe they're not as different as originally believed. This book reminded me how important labels seemed in high school, because at certain times, it was almost all you had. Even though none of these four appreciate the labels that have been thrust upon them, they cling to them at tough times, like a shield. It's understandable, especially in the situation they're in, because they're breaching new territory and they need something comfortable to cling to. It also reminded me that sometimes labels aren't always what they seem, and that not everyone wants to be known by one thing. York and Sam did a good job at illustrating that.

I've been trying to figure out how to talk about my favorite part without spoiling anything, but that's pretty much impossible. I guess I can say that I really enjoyed Sam talking with her mom, because she's telling her mom the story of that night. I suppose I can say that I really like how that part of the story ends, because I wasn't expecting it to end up that way.

It's so vague and I'm sorry.

The moral of this whole post is that I really recommend this book to everyone. It was so fun, even though it dealt with some pretty dark things. But it really was a cross between The Breakfast Club and Breaking Bad, and if that's not enough to get you into this book, I don't know what is. Rebel Bully Geek Pariah comes out February 16th, so get for a late Valentine's Day present!

No comments:

Post a Comment