/

Friday, November 27, 2015

Onward and Upward

I feel like the last few weeks have gone by in a blur.

So, after the Oval Nationals, I figured I would buckle down and get to work on NaNo, right? Well, that was the plan, but it didn't quite work out that way. We decided to go to Arizona the next weekend for the last bit of races, and I ended up feeling kind of run down that whole weekend. Between flying and driving and sitting outside in the cold while dust flew up my nose and in my mouth, it all took its toll on me. I started trying to get serious this week, but it's been difficult. It's getting colder around here and all I want to do is clean the house, curl up in bed, and read.

I never thought I'd be so happy to see the end of November.

What does that mean for NaNo? Well, I'm going to work my butt off for the next four days and see what I can get done. I'm not so far behind that winning is impossible, but one could call it a long shot. Luckily, this story is not something that I was too terribly excited about, but just something I grabbed out of my folders. I knew this month would be insane, so I picked something that I could "mindlessly" write and know that it would never see the light of day. Looking over some of the things I've written, it's ridiculous and trite, but it's been helping me write everyday (more or less) and getting my brain working again.

My brain has really been getting at the future. December is going to be another slightly crazy month, but I'm going to utilize it the best I can. I've already started compiling a list of all the stories that I have in my folders that are...well, I guess you could say, worth something. Those are the stories that could be more, that could turn into novels with just a little love and patience. The plan (oh, the plan) is to take December to really look at them, to figure out if I could flesh them out into something that I would be excited about. Then, starting near the end of December or in January, I'm going to start writing (I'll still be writing everyday, and I'll talk about that in a second). Sprint cars don't get going until the beginning of March, and we have been planning on working on the house most weekends, but I can make it work. I'm determined to make it work, actually. I want something done before my birthday, something that I can hold in my hands and say, dang, that's mine.

As for writing everyday, I'm planning on doing what I make my students do: get into some prompts. I want to get into the habit of writing something each day, whether it's a hundred words or a thousand. It's like physical exercise: once I get into the swing of it, I'll crave it. There's thousands of websites out there with daily prompts, and I'd be an idiot not to use them. I hate New Years resolutions because I feel like you're just setting yourself up to fail (maybe it's just me), but I'm trying to be more organized in the coming year. That includes writing. Keep your fingers crossed for me, because I'm going to need it.

Besides all that, I'm betting that this blog is going to turn into me complaining that this house is too damn big and that I hate having to turn it into something I want to live in. Typical white people problems, basically. And no, I don't live in a mansion or anything close, but sometimes I look around our house and wonder what the hell we're going to do with some of the space. Then, within the space of two seconds, I wonder why we don't have more space for all of our junk. Then I wonder if anyone wants to buy a slightly used, mostly broken cat.


Cat hair rug included!

But that might just be me,

No comments:

Post a Comment