/

Monday, November 17, 2014

Time Flies

What do you mean, it's been more than three weeks??

Yeah, yeah, I know. I thought that I was going to move all my junk into the new place and then immediately be ready to get my life going the very next day. Were you aware that moving is a seemingly never-ending process? Did you know that all your crap piled into boxes seems like way more of a burden than your crap just harmlessly sitting out? Did you further know that dealing with a cat while moving is not a fun experience, especially when that cat is no longer allowed on the bed and all she seems to do is try to find a way onto the bed?

Needless to say, things have been messy lately.

That doesn't mean that I decided to skip NaNo! Well, really, I almost did. We moved in on Halloween, then had a horrendous time at the LA Haunted Hayride (seriously, heavy stuff fell on us and it was pouring rain while we sat there in a tractor trailer full of hay), and then the next weekend, we went out of town for three days. I still have work, everyone in the house seems to be getting sick at different times, and the anxiety of not having everything in its place sometimes takes over my mind. But then I remembered how much fun I have zoning out for a few hours and writing. So that settled it. I may have been behind for a week or two, but I caught up. Now I'm cruising along and I should be done by the end of November.

It's not the best writing. Rereading over the stuff I've done, I understand that. But it's nice to write again. It's nice to imagine scenes and characters, and, yes, I'm beginning to miss Amory. Wasn't that the whole point of this month? To miss her and actually want to get back to her? Well, it's working. I found myself thinking about her instead of NaNo last night, which can be dangerous sometimes, but I'm trying this new thing, I believe it's called exercising willpower? You know, when you have something that you really want to do, but you know you have to do other things before that, so you're responsible and do those things first? It's a novelty, I know, but I'm trying it. And it's not like I have to do NaNo, I get that, but I've committed. I want to do it. So, fingers crossed that the next time I write on this thing, I'm not like, Hey, let me tell you what, I stopped NaNo because that's ridiculous and now I'm working on Amory, and then next week I'll be doing something else.

Because I'm insane.

The good thing is that next week is the wonderful holiday we Americans call Thanksgiving. Not because it's a particularly good holiday (I mean, really, let's look at our history, shall we?), but because I get three days off from work. A whole five days, if we count the weekend, which we're going to. As much as I want to spend all five days staring at the wall and pretending like I don't have responsibilities, I'm hoping to get a lot of writing down and maybe finishing. Well, I'm going to have to, because I just realized that the end of November is next week.

Huh. Time, what a strange thing.

I guess I should get off this thing and get to work. Not writing. Of course not. I have to clean and pretend like there aren't a million boxes waiting to be unpacked. Nope. I can't see you, boxes. Not if I close my eyes tight enough.

Cleaning should be fun like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment