/

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Gusher, Part 2

When I said I would set aside my story for a little while so I could catch up on my life, I laughed right along with my brain, because we both knew that wasn't going to happen. Surprisingly, it has! I printed out a copy of AYLB at Staples (under $20 for the whole thing...I couldn't love that place anymore) and haven't touched it since I picked it up Monday. I'm getting through some of the library books I've been neglecting for the last few weeks, and I won't get around to editing until this weekend. Which means...what? Well. I'm in a gushing mood!

Cinder: Wow. This book blew me away. Honestly, I thought this was just a retelling of Cinderella, and since she's my favorite princess, it got me interested. While one could draw parallels to Cinderella, Marissa Meyer took it in a whole different, awesome direction! I sped through the last half of it, after dallying around with the first half, and promptly put my name in for Scarlet at my library. It's sitting on my desk as I write this, but I won't get to it until the weekend. What I most loved about this book was that it's set in futuristic Asia. Not a lot of YA books are set in far off places like that, and the future world that she created was scary, exciting, and amazing.

Ready Player One: Oh my goodness, definitely one of my favorite books. I read one review that said if you were a child of the 1980s, you'd adore this book. While some of the references went right over my head (mostly video games, I wasn't a gamer girl when I was a kid), it really made me yearn for my childhood and that beautiful time when MTV actually showed music videos and being outside was mandatory for children. The fast-paced, super-cyber world really kept me into it, and I'm debating whether or not to buy it, because I'm forcing my boyfriend to read it, too. Even if you weren't born in the 80s, you have the internet now, so you can look up everything you don't understand!

The Lords of Salem: I've been so freaking excited for this movie for about a thousand years now, so of course I would get the book, to whet my appetite and keep me sane for the month in between this and the movie. While I loved the story, I hate when famous people use co-writers who aren't very good. I could tell which parts were Rob Zombie's, and those were the better parts. Some of the writing was kind of clunky and stumbling, but what can I say? I was engrossed from beginning to end, mainly because I could visualize it all in my mind. I'm finally going to see the movie on Friday, so we shall see if it lives up to the one that's been playing in my head for the last month.

A Game of Thrones: All right. What can I say about this book? It took me about a month to get through because I was writing and because confusion settled in my brain whenever I started reading. There are way too many characters and I kept having to use this family flow chart I found online to keep track of everyone. I also spoiled a lot of stuff for myself, because I couldn't stand not knowing what happens to some of them, so that was my fault. But George R.R. Martin really created a beautiful world with some memorable characters. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be, but I'm totally cheering for Dany. She's insane and I keep forgetting she's only fourteen.

Beautiful Disaster: Okay, this is the book that made me want to gush. It's been sitting on my Kindle for a few weeks now, but I had to finish A Game of Thrones before I started anything new. I wasn't even supposed to start this until next week, but I got bored at work yesterday and began reading a few pages. Well, that turned into a hundred pages, so I finished the entire book when I came home. Good god, Travis Maddox is the hottest thing I've read about in awhile. Every time he spoke, even when drunk and mean, I melted a little. I could have done with Abby, she was a bit annoying at points and rude as heck to Travis, but their fighting and making up kept me reading. Some parts were eye-rolling (like *someone* getting a tattoo on their stomach...I mean, stomach, really? Gross), but, in the end, the story was sweet, and I'm excited to read more from Jamie McGuire (who I totally thought was a guy for the entire book until I reached the end and there was a picture of a very pretty blond lady!).

Now that the gushing is over, I bet you want to know how the Festival of Books was, right? Yeah, me too. We never made it. USC apparently doesn't understand how parking lots work, so we couldn't even get in. But I wasn't too depressed about it. We planted and read and hung out. It was a lovely weekend, even without the books. Hopefully a trip this weekend to the used bookstore can make up for it! Well, as long as I finish The Shining before this weekend. Oh, shoot, I better get reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment